A bath house was built at La Jolla Cove in the 1890’s. This is a picture of the second bath house erected after the first burned down. The bath houses were built by the owners of the rail line that ran day trippers from downtown San Diego to La Jolla. The small building to the right of the bath house was the Scripps Biological Station.
The grand opening of the La Jolla Community Center and Playground, now known as the La Jolla Rec Center took place on July, 3, 1915. As part of the festivities a gala was held that night with dancing on the tennis courts. It was overcast but comfortable according to La Jollan Anson Mills. Mr Mills estimated about two to three thousand people, most of them from San Diego, joined the festivities that day.